Our mission is to be the voice and career resource for independent, entrepreneurial, professional nonfiction writers. We achieve that by letting our members know what's really happening in the freelance nonfiction market. Through our confidential online database, newsletter, and message boards, ASJA members exchange timely critical details about markets, fees, contracts, trends, and more.
Below are the benefits for Professional members.
ASJA Professional Members can participate in the following programs to meet editors, agents, publishers and other corporate and nonprofit clients
- Client Connections, a one-on-one appointment with potential clients at ASJA’s annual conference
- Virtual Client Connections, an internet meeting with editors over Skype from their home office
- Virtual Pitch Slam, an interactive conference call during which members get their story pitches heard live with feedback provided by a top editor
- Multiple networking opportunities are available for experienced, self-employed writers of nonfiction during ASJA’s conferences, local chapter events and online within ASJA’s Special Interest Groups and other discussion forums
- Members have access to a collective brain trust that fosters a culture of collegiality and generosity among writers, who regularly share a wealth of knowledge via ASJA’s various communication channels available only to members, including:
- ASJA forums, an online community where members talk about jobs, tech tips, and everything in between
- ASJA Magazine, both online and print
- ASJA Weekly, an electronic newsletter that keeps members and nonmembers updated on upcoming events and news with stories and insights on the freelance experience
- Freelance Writer Search, where members can access exciting new job opportunities
- Members gain exclusive knowledge to payment and market information about potential clients through the Paycheck listings. The Paycheck rights-and-fees database collects member reports of payments and terms to help them negotiate from a position of strength.
- Members can access political events, press conferences and emergency scenes with a free Press Card that identifies them immediately as professional writers.
- Members receive free admission to monthly ASJA Direct calls that cover the business and craft of freelance writing.
- Members receive discounted rates to ASJA's annual and regional conferences. However, only Professional members can sign-up to participate in Client Connections at the ASJA Annual Conference and regional conferences.
Other Membership Discounts
- Delta Air Lines offers special discounted airfare for ASJA members traveling across the world. Discounts vary, depending on the class of ticket purchased, up to 10% off the fare.
- AVIS Car Rental has negotiated a corporate discount program for ASJA members to enjoy low rates and service deals.
- WeWork offers collaborative workspaces for ASJA members to help get the creative juices flowing! Members can receive up to 20% off new WeWork memberships on office space. Click here to be in touch with WeWork and get more information.
Advocacy for the Greater Good
- Assistance on contractual rights in the form of direct mentorship and guidance.
- Awards for ASJA members who create exemplary work, as well as special honors for those who contribute to the greater good of ASJA.
You'll also get substantial discounts on all ASJA events and much more. ASJA understands freelance writing, so don't go it alone. Join us and see what real support can mean to your freelance career.