Our mission is to be the voice and career resource for independent, entrepreneurial, professional nonfiction writers. We achieve that by letting our members know what's really happening in the freelance nonfiction market. Through our confidential online database, newsletter, and message boards, ASJA members exchange timely critical details about markets, fees, contracts, trends, and more.
While many of our benefits are accessible by both Professional and Associate Members, each level of benefits have some unique benefits.
Associate Member Only Benefits
To help our Associate members gain the develop skills, networking tools, and the confidence needed to grow their business and thrive in a competitive freelance writing landscape, each Associate member receives small group mentoring for a minimum of six months with an experienced Professional member and other Associate members. Associate members will be positioned to emerge from the relationship with the work experience needed to transition to a full, professional membership in the organization, if so desired.
Professional Member Only Benefits
ASJA Professional Members can participate in the following programs to meet editors, agents, publishers and other corporate and nonprofit clients
- Client Connections, a one-on-one appointment with potential clients at ASJA’s annual conference
- Virtual Client Connections, an internet meeting with editors over Skype from their home office
- Virtual Pitch Slam, an interactive conference call during which members get their story pitches heard live with feedback provided by a top editor
- Freelance Writer Search, where members can access exciting new job opportunities
Benefits for Both Associate & Professional Members
All ASJA members receive the following benefits
- Multiple networking opportunities are available for experienced, self-employed writers of nonfiction during ASJA’s conferences, local chapter events and online within ASJA’s Special Interest Groups and other discussion forums
- Members have access to a collective brain trust that fosters a culture of collegiality and generosity among writers, who regularly share a wealth of knowledge via ASJA’s various communication channels available only to members, including:
- ASJA forums, an online community where members talk about jobs, tech tips, and everything in between
- ASJA Magazine, both online and print
- ASJA Weekly, an electronic newsletter that keeps members and nonmembers updated on upcoming events and news with stories and insights on the freelance experience
- Peer mentoring and other programs that foster support for freelance writers
- Members gain exclusive knowledge to payment and market information about potential clients through the Paycheck listings. The Paycheck rights-and-fees database collects member reports of payments and terms to help them negotiate from a position of strength.
- Members can access political events, press conferences and emergency scenes with a free Press Card that identifies them immediately as professional writers.
- Members receive numerous discounts for magazine subscriptions and other programs that enable them to stay engaged in their careers by cutting costs on business-related expenses.
- Members receive free admission to monthly Shop Talk calls that cover the business and craft of freelance writing.
- Members receive discounted rates to ASJA's annual and regional conferences.
Other Membership Discounts
- Delta Air Lines offers special discounted airfare for ASJA members traveling across the world. Discounts vary, depending on the class of ticket purchased, up to 10% off the fare.
- AVIS Car Rental has negotiated a corporate discount program for ASJA members to enjoy low rates and service deals.
- MDLive Telehealth/Telemedicine has a discounted rate for ASJA members that allows writers to consult with a US board-certified and fully insured physician.
- Magazine subscription discounts on hundreds of consumer titles.
Advocacy for the Greater Good
- Assistance on contractual rights in the form of direct mentorship and guidance.
- Awards for ASJA members who create exemplary work, as well as special honors for those who contribute to the greater good of ASJA.
You'll also get substantial discounts on all ASJA events and much more. ASJA understands freelance writing, so don't go it alone. Join us and see what real support can mean to your freelance career.